Tips To Reduce Fat
- Monitor and regulate the consumption of fats and oils at home while cookingy
- Measure cooking oil with a spoon rather than pouring freely from the bottle.
- While cooking, prefer boil, steam, roast, grill or bake rather than frying.
- Chose low fat dairy products. Opt for low-fat dairy products such as semi-skimmed or skimmed milk, low-fat cheese or curd made at home with low fat milk.
- If you are a non-vegetarian prefer eating lean meat sources like chicken or fish over red meat or organ meat.
- In your routine cooking, use fats and oils in moderation and consume varieties of foods to get good proportion of all fatty acids for optimal health benefits.
- High intake of saturated fats is a risk factor for heart disease. Limit the use of butter or ghee.
Support by Food Businesses
As part of the ‘Eat Right India’ movement', food businesses have committed to promote healthier food options in several ways.
- Reformulation of food products by major food companies to reduce the content of sugar and salt in packaged food.
- Provision of healthier food options by the food services sector and introduction of menu labelling on nutrition information.
- Promotion of healthier food options and responsible retail practices by food retailers and e-commerce players.
- Phasing-out of trans-fats in food products by the edible oil industry, bakeries and 'halwais' towards a 'Trans-fats-free India by 2022': India@75